This might be one of the weirder grilled cheese sandwich recipes I’ve done, but I quite enjoyed it. Caesar salads are a favorite of mine, and they have parmesan cheese, so I had to try making it into a grilled cheese sandwich. I was a little skeptical about the cooked lettuce, but it worked better than I had imagined. Give this chicken Caesar grilled cheese sandwich recipe a try, and let me know what you think.
What goes into a grilled cheese sandwich inspired by a Caesar salad?
I’ve been to restaurants that offer grilled chicken Caesar sandwiches, but I wanted to make this more of a grilled cheese sandwich and not so much a grilled piece of chicken on bread.
I used shredded chicken and chopped up some romaine lettuce into small pieces. Romaine is important here because other lettuce varieties have different tastes. And while it felt a little strange to cook lettuce, somehow it worked. Try to use some of the crispier sections of the lettuce, as opposed to the floppier leafy sections, and they’ll retain more of that crispiness even after being warmed up for 10 minutes.
Instead of using only parmesan cheese, which doesn’t melt as nicely as other cheeses, I used shredded mozzarella. It has a mild taste, which makes it easy to mix with other stronger flavors, but I did still include some parmesan.
Another important element is the Caesar salad dressing. Make sure you get a really tasty one because this will be the predominant flavor in your sandwich. And remember, a little goes a long way with a grilled cheese sandwich. You don’t want too much liquid thinning out your sandwich fillings, otherwise it will ooze out of the bread too much.
Want to make it vegetarian? Leave out the chicken and add in a little more cheese.
How to make a chicken Caesar grilled cheese sandwich?
Even though there are several ingredients, this recipe is easy to make. If you regularly make Caesar salads at home, this will give you a twist on a classic with a similar flavor.
Start with some shredded chicken. Shredded chicken combines with the cheese and other ingredients more easily that chunkier pieces. About 3 tablespoons should do.
Chop up a leaf or two of romaine lettuce into small pieces. Like with the chicken, smaller pieces will mix better than bigger pieces.
Then mix in 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese, and a tablespoon of Caesar salad dressing. The flavors of a good Caesar dressing will shine through even in such a small amount. But trust me, you don’t want to use too much because everything will end up too runny and you’ll have a really messy sandwich!
Sprinkle half of the remaining mozzarella cheese onto one slice of bread. Spread on your chicken Caesar mix, and then top it off with the rest of your mozzarella cheese and the other slice of bread. Now you’re ready to grill your sandwich!
Melt a slab of butter in a pan until little bubbles start to form in the butter. Put your sandwich in and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. You might need an additional minute or two per side if it’s not quite done at that point. You’re going for a crispy golden brown here, so be careful not to cook it too high or too long. No one likes a burned grilled cheese sandwich!
Optional parmesan crust
I wanted to make sure there was enough parmesan cheese in this one since that’s an important part of a chicken Caesar salad. So I figured this was the perfect grilled cheese sandwich for a parmesan crust. Luckily it’s easy to do.
After grilling your sandwich for about 3 or so minutes on each side, it will be golden brown but not quite done yet. At this point, sprinkle some parmesan cheese onto the top piece of bread, and then flip your sandwich. Let it cook for about a minute.
Meanwhile, sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese onto the other piece of bread, which is now facing up. Flip again to cook in that second piece of parmesan-covered bread.
At this point, your sandwich should be done and ready to eat. That parmesan crust adds the perfect finishing touch.
I hope you enjoy this chicken Caesar grilled cheese sandwich recipe!
- 2 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 Tbsp of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp of Caesar salad dressing
- 1-2 leaves of romaine lettuce, shredded
- Heat the pan on medium.
- Add a slab of butter to the pan and let it melt completely.
- In a bowl, combine half of your shredded mozzarella cheese (so 1/4 cup) with the shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese (or more if you want), and 1 Tbsp Caesar salad dressing.
- Put half of the remaining mozzarella cheese onto a slice of bread, and spoon on your chicken mixture. Then top it off with the rest of the mozzarella cheese and close up your sandwich.
- Once the butter is completely melted, coats the whole pan, and starts bubbling a little, put the sandwich into the pan. Grill on one side for about 4-5 minutes. Then carefully flip the sandwich to grill the other side for another 4-5 minutes. Check to make sure the bread doesn't burn, and you can flip more often to be sure. You want golden brown on each side.
- Optional: To get a crusted parmesan outside, grill the sandwich for about a minute less than done. While it's in the pan cooking on the second side, sprinkle on the parmesan cheese. Flip and repeat for the other side. The cheese will sizzle in the pan, and a minute or so on each side is all you should need to get it crusted on.
- When both sides are a crispy golden brown and the cheese is melty, your chicken Caesar grilled cheese sandwich is done and ready to eat.
Make this gluten free with your favorite gluten free bread.
Also try it with a slice of tomato.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 1069mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by a third party app and should not be used in place of the advice of a professional nutritionist.